Saturday 15 September 2007

Insect Love

My other half is a gardener, and keen photographer - particularly of nature. When he came home with this beauty of an image, I felt it was definately worthy of a post. In fact I was so taken with it that it inspired a new chapter in my open book - Life is Beautiful!




Apparently, this is actually the copulation stage of the mating sequence of these quite romantic beings. Many species of dragonflies go through a whole courting process, whereby they grasp and clasp at each other, and fly around in tandem to find a suitable resting place before the female invites the male into this heartshape position, known as the wheel position.

For more information about the complex mating process of dragonflies follow this link
http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_dragons/Mating.htm

Things like this make me wonder how many other lovers there are right under our noses, and how many things are happening without us even realising as we go about our hectic daily lives. I might just keep my eye out for more beauties to share....

2 comments:

Her indoors said...

I love the heartshape that they make. So sweet.

Tina - Freebird Professional said...

I know - who said romance was dead :-)