Saturday 20 October 2007

Is the risk part of the fun?

I noticed a HUGE flaw in the decision making process discussed below.

I jumped out of a plane last weekend from 10,500 feet!

It was THE MOST LIBERATING, and amazing experience of my life, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Provided you are of good health, and you do it tandem with an expert of course!

However, let's look at the "what's the worse thing that could happen?" principle.

Eeerrm, well, let's see. Okay, yes, that's right. The worse that could happen when you jump out of a plane from 10,500 feet, is that the parachute doesn't open and you end up - eeerrrmm - dead?

In this particular case I simply ignored the possible worse case scenario, despite the disclaimer I had to sign before hand, which stated that skydiving could cause death. I just assumed that there was very little chance of the worse thing that could happen, actually happening. AND, when I think about it - that's what I do most of the time. I subconsciously way up the odds of the worse thing that could happen, actually happening. If the odds are low - then yeeehaaa - away we go! Don't worry about it!

I guess that's perhaps a little dangerous? But it does mean that you worry far less, and you enjoy far more!

No comments: