Friday 19 October 2007

What's the worse thing that could happen?

Having watched the video in the last post, I was pondering on the possibility of using the very same principle for other decisions you may need to make.

Whenever I've considered doing something that involves some element of fear, I've always asked the question, "If I go for it, what is the worse thing that could happen?"

Let's look at that in more detail.

The scenarios I'm referring to are those of a "shall I, or shan't I" nature. Should I stay or should I go? Should I jump, or should I not? Should I take a risk, or should I not?

If we look at a worse case and best case for each of the choices, quite often it's so much easier to make the decision.

Let's look at a career decision for example:

Should I leave the job I'm in? Or should I stay and go for the promotion?

It may be, that when you apply the worse case and best case scenarios, you come up with the following statements:

1. If I leave my job, the best thing that could happen is that I find another job which brings me far more fulfillment than my existing job.

2. If I leave my job, the worse thing that could happen is that I can't possibly find another job of any description whatsoever.

3. If I stay in this job, the best thing that could happen is that I get a promotion and receive more money, and more responsibility.

4. If I stay in my job, the worse thing that could happen is that nothing changes at all.

Now obviously your decision will be guided by your motive for asking the question in the first place. If for example you are asking the question because you can no longer stand working in a job that no longer fulfills you; then the possibility of statement 1, would be very appealing - against the risk of statement 2.

You may also realise that even if the best thing that could happen if you stayed in the job - did happen - then you still wouldn't be happy!

You can then look at the risk of leaving, to see if you can reduce it at all, and you may find for example that you can make a statement such as:

"I will be able to find work of some description. I got this job didn't I? Even if I have to clean toilets for a little while, I'll be able to do something to bring some money in."

If you are then satisfied that you could live with that particular worse case scenario, and you're happy that it's worth the risk... Then - you have a decision. You quit your job and go! The chances are that the worse thing that could happen - won't happen anyway - but at least you made the decision that you were happy to gamble with that potential outcome.

No comments: